December 25, 1813 - Buffalo (Black Rock), NY, in trouble

If it's related to the War of 1812, discuss it in this forum.
pud
Official historian

December 25, 1813 - Buffalo (Black Rock), NY, in trouble

Post by pud » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:31 am

Source: The Documentary History of the Campaigns upon the Niagara Frontier in 1812 to 1814, Volume 9. Lt. Col. E. Cruikshank, Welland: Tribune office, 1908. p. 46.

"Brigadier General McClure to Lt. Col. Granger
BATAVIA, 25th December, 1813.

Col. Granger.
Dear Sir, - I have received a letter from Major Mallory in which he states Buffalo to be still in danger. I should say there was at least 1200 men now at that place. I believe that the reason the enemy's concentrating their forces at Fort Erie is that they're apprehensive of your attacking them, or why come up to pass over when they have the convenience of the river below? I have requested Major General Hall to take command of the volunteers and other troops at Buffalo a few days until I can organize a detachment of militia. I will send all the troops as fast as they arrive. The officers commanding the regulars will not return to Buffalo unless compelled by a positive order. I should not urge them unless the place is in positive danger. I could not prevail on them to stay at 11 mile Creek nor was it safe for me or any that accompanied me to stay there or travel on the road. The numerous mob we met cried out: "Shoot him down, shoot him." This mob is countenanced by many of the inhabitants of Buffalo, and I must be well convinced that they will treat me in a different way before I can agree to make that my headquarters. I am under many obligations to you, Colonel, for your stable friendship to me. I am publishing a handbill which I will send you and will be pleased to distribute it. It is a narrative of facts which will justify me in the eyes of every impartial man. The detachment of militia will be in Buffalo a few days, after which I presume the volunteers will return home. I have wrote the Governor that a detachment of 1000 men more would actually be necessary this winter, or regular soldiers. I am obliged to stop short; accept assurances of my highest consideration and esteem and believe me, sincerely,
GEORGE MCCLURE"