Forlorn Hope

From the threat of war to land grants. This forum is for general discussion relating to the Glens.
taffy1944
Private

Forlorn Hope

Post by taffy1944 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:39 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask these questions if not please move them to where they properly belong.

(1.) Who or what are the "Forlorn Hope"?. I came across this term when reading a dispatch from Lt. General Gordon Drummond to Prevost dated Aug.16, 1814 following the attack on Fort Erie where he mentions "The Forlorn Hope consisted of a Subdivision of the Light Company of the King's Regt..."" and "...the Forlorn Hope...lost many men." [I found this dispatch on pages 189 & 190 of Vol.III, Part I of the "Select British Documents of The Canadian War of 1812"]. I have only heard this expression in an episode of Sharp and the 95th Rifles.

(2.) Can anyone tell me which Record Group at the National Archives I would find the list of Men of The Glengary Regiment that is published in Winston Johnston's book? I know from personal experience that the NAC has microfilm of a great deal of British PRO military records. I have searched the NAC website but can't locate any finding aid that would help. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cheers

Keith
Private

Re: Forlorn Hope

Post by Keith » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:22 am

Generally the term "The Forlorn Hope" is the title given to the initial group going through the breach or over the walls (via ladders) of an enemy fort.

One can imagin that going into a well defended fort would be hard enough. Going into a fort via hole created by artilery or explosives were every available defender would be waiting would certainly suicidel!

It was however nececary then as it is now to breach an enemeys defences! To be on the assaulting force was a thing of hounor and would garner a promotion if one survived or even a postimus promotion to the officer leading the charge.

taffy1944
Private

Re: Forlorn Hope

Post by taffy1944 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:55 pm

Thanks very much for the answer.

Cheers