Daniel MacDougal - Life and "photo" of a Glengarry!

From the threat of war to land grants. This forum is for general discussion relating to the Glens.
pud
Official historian

Daniel MacDougal - Life and "photo" of a Glengarry!

Post by pud » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:02 pm

Source:
Carnochan, Janet. (1925). Niagara historical society (reprint) No. 23: Fort Niagara---Col. D. McDougal. Niagara-On-The-Lake: Advance Print.

"Daniel MacDougal, (the name was really Donuil) belonged to a family noted in the history of Scotland, descended from the MacDougal's of Lorne, mentioned in a foot note in Scott's Lord of the Isles, the grandfather having been killed at Culloden in 1745. Daniel was born in 1782 near Inverness and came with his parents to Glengarry at the age of four years.,… His wife was also of Scottish birth Helen MacNab whose mother was a MacDonell.,… The regiment to which Col. MacDougal belonged was the Glengarry Light Infantry in which he was first an ensign and afterwards a Lieutenant, but his rank as Colonel was in the First Lincoln Militia Regiment. He took part in the attack and capture of Ogdensburg in 1813 the force marching across the river on the ice after Prescott had been attacked by the U. S. troops and many of the inhabitants carried away as prisoners.,,, He was not present at the Battle of Queenston Heights but was at Fort George when the town was taken and was with our troops at the Twelve Mile Creek and came with the advanced guard when the town was in conflagration.,,, At the Battle of Lundy's Lane 25th July, Col. MacDougal received seven wounds and he layed all night on the field of battle and in the military despatch was reported "Lt. MacDougal mortally wounded." His two brothers Angus and Kenneth were in the battle, Angus was wounded and taken prisoner. Many medical certificates show that for many years Col. MacDougal was under the care of different physicians the wound in his throat and lungs causing much suffering.,…
Letter authorizing Daniel MacDougal to enlist men for service in the war of 1812-14.
Sir:-You are hereby authorized and empowered to engage and enlist men for a Regt. of incorporated militia to serve during the present war with the United States of America and to have the same pay and allowance with His Majesty's Forces, but subject to the Militia laws.
E. MacDonell
Prescott, 20 March 1813" (Carnochan, 1925, p.p. 41-43).

Roundabout 1830 Col. MacDougal was one of three Customs Commissioners appointed to operate in the Niagara District of the Customs operations where he was stationed at Queenston and north to Brown's Point in Niagara On The Lake, Upper Canada. His duties also included looking after lighthouses.
During the late 1850s a quest was begun to mark the exact spot of Major-General Sir Isaac Brock's death place at the base of Queenston Heights. Col. MacDougal, since he was living in that general area, became much engaged in correspondence leading up to the 18th of September in 1860. It was a day that must've been absolutely amazing to behold for, first, it was on that day that a marker was placed where Brock had died but, second, on that day several veterans/heroes of the War of 1812 assembled to witness the event. These old soldiers, most, were well into their 70’s. If only I could find a picture and if only one had been taken of it! "On the 18th September, 1860, the Steamer Peerless, commissioned by Captain Dick, left Toronto at the early hour of five o'clock, yet with 500 passengers, a motley gathering of civil and military, volunteer rifles, a Highland Company of Yorkville cavalry and many veterans of 1812, dressed many of them in the uniforms of their times.,,, At Port Dalhousie a company of St. Catharine's Rifles joined them with a band, and at Niagara another addition was made and on nearing Queenston it was seen that the Heights were dark with people. A procession was formed up the steep winding road. Hundreds of wagons were to be seen under the shade of trees. At the foot of the platform were ranged the heroes of 1812, some in their old uniforms, almost all with medals on their breasts, very jealous of their position. There were present Col. Kingsmill, Col. MacDougal, J. C. Ball, Col. Kerby, two or three had taken part in the battle, … At 11 o'clock the Prince arrived amidst loud cheering. An address was read by J.B. Robinson presented by Mr. Stanton, the Secretary of the Committee. In the reply of the Prince we see the germ even then of the qualities which gave him the well deserved title in after years of the Peace Maker. "I trust Canada will never want such volunteers as those who fought in the last war, nor volunteers without such leaders. But no less the more fervently I pray that your sons and your grandsons may never be called upon to add other laurels to those you have so gallantly won." A procession was then formed again headed by a band to reach the spot near the foot of the mountain by circuitous route to place the foundation stone of the cenotaph to mark the spot where Gen. Brock fell, but the great majority took a short cut down the Heights to reach the spot before the procession and men, women and children crossed fences, ditches and rough ground, some old veterans hobbling along, an irresistible human stream" (Carnochan, 1925, p.p. 58-59).

Have you guys ever wanted to stare into the eyes of a Glengarry Light Infantry Fencible 1812 War soldier? I have and have I got a treat for you. Below I’ve included an actual black and white photo of Daniel MacDougal. There is no date attached to it but he must certainly have been in his 70’s when it was taken. You can still see the mischief, the war and the wisdom in his eyes. To think that he lived not only to see Canada successfully defend itself from the USA invasion but lived in spite of his severe injuries and to the ripe old age of 84. He died about 1866. The picture is courtesy of: Carnochan, 1925, p. 44.

Glengarry Fencible
Sergeant

Re: Daniel MacDougal - Life and "photo" of a Glengarry!

Post by Glengarry Fencible » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:11 am

Nice work Pud! :thumbup:

pud
Official historian

Post by pud » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:28 pm

Thanks Bill.

What's amazing for me is that I never knew these details about MacDougal before finding this article and reading it just a few days ago,...and

- I founded the GLIF reenactment unit of all units
- I was a Customs agent and at the port of Queenston too!
- And, for 12.5 years I was an honourary mandatory member of the Lincoln and Welland Militia when I was a Federal Law Enforcement Officer
- And, when I was an army cadet in the RCAC162 for 5 years the Lincoln and Welland Militia were my sponsors.

In fact, it's a bit creepy to look into his eyes in that picture,...but very cool. I think I'm going to prepare a large version of it and bring it with me to Ogdensburgh in a few weeks and ask the owners of our favourite pub (The Junction?) to hang it there for us. I think Daniel would approve of that if we can swing it. lol

Thanks for your help. I have noticed though, two errors in the text so I'm going to email to you the changes that I need made. Hopefully you can do that for me too asap.

Cheers,
Pud

Glengarry Fencible
Sergeant

Post by Glengarry Fencible » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:38 pm

Apparently his house is still standing in NOTL:
Located at 165 Queen Street is the former home of Colonel Daniel MacDougal, the MacDougal-Harrison House c1820.
The former lieutenant in Butler's Rangers, Ralfe Clench, bought the property in 1811 and sold most of it to another former Ranger lieutenant, Adam Crysler, in 1820. Crysler most likely built this house shortly after. Charles Crysler sold the house to another old soldier, Col. Daniel MacDougal, in 1849. MacDougal was badly wounded at the Battle of Lundy's Lane but lived to age 84.