Uncle Josh, how old do I have to be?

From the threat of war to land grants. This forum is for general discussion relating to the Glens.
pud
Official historian

Uncle Josh, how old do I have to be?

Post by pud » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:30 pm

Source: Red Coat and Brown Bess. Museum Restoration Service, Bloomfield, Ontario. 1970. Anthony Darling. p. 8.

"During peacetime, the age limit for recruits was thirty, extended to forty-five and higher when the country went to war. Seventeen was usually the minimum age, although the recruiting sergeant rarely questioned a promising youth."

Glengarry Fencible
Sergeant

Re: Uncle Josh, how old do I have to be?

Post by Glengarry Fencible » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:27 am

pud wrote:although the recruiting sergeant rarely questioned a promising youth."
This one caught my eye, because of the height. ( I was looking for men over 6', but only found one or two in all of the GLI records. It turns out there was a reason he was so short!

Name: Benjamin Saunders

Height: 4'11"

Complexion: Fair

Hair: Dark

Eyes: Brown

Born: Montreal

Parish: Sutton

Trade or Occupation: Labourer

Attestation: Montreal, 15 April 1814

Duration of service: 3 years

pud
Official historian

shorty...

Post by pud » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:22 am

A fine example Bill, thanks for finding it. Yes, the regs that I posted were for British in Britain at the beginning of the Napoleonic era. They generally held true for Canada, but, of course, recrutiing that went on here was rarely for "regulars".

11 years of age,.holy geez! Was he put into line service or was he a fifer, drummer or buglar,.do you know?

Pud

Glengarry Fencible
Sergeant

Post by Glengarry Fencible » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:01 am

Unfortunately that's all I have on him. Most of the records I could find were incomplete. I'd love to get my hands on the attestation papers.

MikeD
Private

Post by MikeD » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:53 pm

term of service was 3 years, did they say what happened? I mean 14 is a little early to retire isn't it? haha. 4'11 would have been a pretty big for an 11 year old back then, I mean wasn't the average height like 5'5 or something like that?

It also makes you wonder what the circumstances were surrounding his enlistment. I don't think he did it for the free food. lol. I guess we take it for granted how good we have it now.

Mike.

Glengarry Fencible
Sergeant

Post by Glengarry Fencible » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:30 pm

Lots of the records indicated whether the soldier reenlisted, or left the army with a status of "Service expired", "Died", "Deserted" etc... This one unfortunately was incomplete. Given his young age at enlistment, it's possible that he may have been one of the last living veterans of the war. :idea:

pud
Official historian

mike D said:

Post by pud » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:04 pm

"4'11 would have been a pretty big for an 11 year old back then, ."

My daughter was 5'3" at 11,.of course she hasn't grown since.poor kid.lol

pud
Official historian

Bill said:

Post by pud » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:07 pm

"it's possible that he may have been one of the last living veterans of the war."

Could be.I wonder what his pension was like? :shock: 50 acres crown land? And he with no wife and kids to help clear the land :cry: :lol: