August 26, 1812 - Re: General Isaac Brock at Detroit

If it's related to the War of 1812, discuss it in this forum.
pud
Official historian

August 26, 1812 - Re: General Isaac Brock at Detroit

Post by pud » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:29 pm

**This was a dispatch from Sir George Prevost (Lt. Gov. of the Canadas) to Lord Bathurst (one of His Majesty's principle Secretaries of State) concerning General Brock's conduct at Detroit and Detroit's surrender. It is dated at Montreal, 26th August, 1812.

"It was under these circumstances, at this critical period, and when the enemy were beginning to consult their security by entrenching themselves, that General Brock entered Amherstburg with a reinforcement, which he was fortunately enabled to do on the 13th (August) instant, without the smallest molestation, in consequence of our decided naval superiority on the lakes. To his active and intelligent mind, the advantages which his enemy's situation afforded him over them, even with his very inferior force, were immediately apparent; and that he has not failed most effectually to avail himself of those favorable circumstances, your lordship will, I trust, be satisfied, from the letter which I have the honor of transmitting.
Having thus brought to your lordship's view the different circumstances which have led to the successful termination of the campaign in the western frontier of Upper Canada, I cannot withhold from Major General Brock the tribute of applause so justly due to him for his distinguished conduct on this occasion; or omit to recommend him, through your lordship, to the favorable consideration of his Royal Highness the Prince Regent, for the great ability and judgment with which he planned, and the promptitude, energy, and fortitude with which he has effected, the preservation of Upper Canada, with the sacrifice of so little British blood in accomplishing so important a service."