July 22, 1814 - Preparing for Battle/Scouting

If it's related to the War of 1812, discuss it in this forum.
pud
Official historian

July 22, 1814 - Preparing for Battle/Scouting

Post by pud » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:34 am

Throughout the campaign in Niagara during 1814, the Glengarry Light Infantry were often used as scouts. Consider the example below from 194 years ago today, just a few days before the great Battle of Lundy's Lane. The example shown below also contributes to the idea that the Glengarries and the Natives often found themselves working with each other during scouting campaigns and it is because of this that they developed an understanding of each other and a deep respect for each other's backgrounds and contributions to the war in defence of the Canada's.

Source:
THE DOCUMENTARY HISTORY OF THE CAMPAIGN ON THE NIAGARA FRONTIER IN 1814. Lundy's Lane Historical Society, Welland: The Tribune Office. Captain E. Cruikshank. [Year Unknown]. P.81.

"General Riall to General Drummond.
12 Mile Creek, 22 July, 1814.

SIR,-I had the honor to write to you this morning by Capt. Jervois and enclosed you a letter I had received from Lt.-Col. Tucker, stating his apprehensions for the safety of Fort George from the vast preparations the enemy seemed to be employed in making for its reduction, and urging me to advance immediately for its relief. About 3 o'clock p.m. I received a report from Capt. Fitzgibbon of the Glengarry Regt., whom I had sent out with a party for the purpose of reconnoitering and gaining information of the enemy's intentions, that he had withdrawn from his position before Fort George and was again falling back upon Queenston. From the top of the hill, over the place where Capt. Fitzgibbon was enabled to see his whole force, which was in column, extending from near the village to De Puisaye’s house. The wagons and baggage seemed to be halted at Brown's. When Capt. Fitzgibbon left the hill, which he was obliged to do by the advance of a body of cavalry and riflemen, the column was moving towards St. David's, and when about a 1000 men, &c., entered into that direction it was halted. Capt. Fitzgibbon was obliged to retire with his party through St. David's, and was pursued about a mile upon the road leading from thence to this place. I understand some riflemen have advanced to within a mile of the 10 Mile Creek, which is the rendezvous of Lt.-Col. Parry's brigade of militia. That officer has been indefatigable in his exertions and has acquired great influence with the militia. I have directed Lt.-Col. Pearson to detach two companies of the Glengarry Regt. to his support and he has besides a considerable number of Indians with him.

I make no doubt the enemy has either retired or been driven back before this, or I would have received further information. I have not been able to learn what the enemy has intended by this movement, which he evidently wished to mask by the numbers of riflemen and dragoons which he had thrown out in his front. I have received a report also from Lt.-Col. Tucker that their army had abandoned his position before Fort George and that his picquets were again established at Wilson's and McFarlane's. The communication with this place is perfectly open."