Prevost to Bathurst re: outcome at Ogdensburgh, 1813

If it's related to the War of 1812, discuss it in this forum.
pud
Official historian

Prevost to Bathurst re: outcome at Ogdensburgh, 1813

Post by pud » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:11 pm

Source: Canadian Archives, Q. 121, p. 106.

"Sir George Prevost to Earl Bathurst.
NIAGARA, 27th February, 1813.

My Lord:-
In my despatch No.44, which I had the honour of addressing to Your Lordship on the 16th inst., I reported the close of the session of the Provincial Parliament and my intention of proceeding on the following day to visit the military posts in Upper Canada. I was particularly anxious to accomplish this object before the winter roads should become impassable by the thaw, which was daily apprehended, as I was in hopes that my presence at York would serve materially to check a disposition that had manifested itself in that province to cabal against the person administering the government of it, and might also be the means of restoring order to its militia force.

I accordingly left Quebec on the 17th, and passing through Montreal arrived at Prescott, the first military post in Upper Canada, on the 21st. I found myself within less than a mile of the enemy, posted at Ogdensburg, who had availed themselves of the frozen state of the St. Lawrence in that neighborhood to carry on repeated nocturnal enterprises against posts of communication which were occupied by the militia, and to commit frequent depredations upon the persons and property of His Majesty's subjects, carefully selecting objects beyond the immediate support of a regular military force.

Being at that time busily engaged in the transport of ordnance and ordnance stores for the marine establishment on the lakes, and in supplying arms, accoutrements, clothing and ammunition for the militia of the Upper Province, I deemed it absolutely necessary in order to ensure the safe arrival of those essential articles at the places of their destination to dislodge the enemy from his position at Ogdensburg, to secure from interruption my line of communication with Lower Canada. I have now the honour of transmitting to Your Lordship the report which Major Macdonell of the Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles has made to me of the spirited manner in which he carried into execution my orders on this occasion.

By beg leave to call Your Lordship's attention to the distinguished merit of Captain Jenkins of the Glengarry Fencibles, who most gallantly led a part of that new levy into action. This excellent young man and very meritorious officer has lost his left arm and has his right severely wounded. Under the circumstances I must humbly recommend him to the favour and protection of His Royal Highness the Prince Regent.

It is but common justice to the merits of Lieut. Impey of the Dundas Militia who has lost a leg in this affair, which has afforded a fresh proof of the superiority of His Majesty's arms over those of the enemy, to interest Your Lordship that the same benevolence may be extended to him as he would have experienced had he belonged to the regular forces, he being a very respectable and worthy man, entirely dependent upon his bodily exertions in the cultivation of a farm for the support of himself and a young family.

Two stand of colors which were taken on this service by the detachment of the King’s Regiment will be forwarded to Your Lordship by the first opportunity, to be laid at the feet of His Royal Highness the Prince Regent."