Fort Erie Destroyed - American withdrawal - Nov., 1814

If it's related to the War of 1812, discuss it in this forum.
pud
Official historian

Fort Erie Destroyed - American withdrawal - Nov., 1814

Post by pud » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:17 pm

*Source: Documentary History of the Campaign on the Niagara Frontier in 1814 (partII). Capt. E. Cruikshank. Welland: The Tribune Office. [year is unknown] p. 290.

"Sir Gordon Drummond to Sir George Prevost.
HEADQUARTERS, FALLS OF NIAGARA, 5th November, 1814. [*p.288],...

,...8 P.M.
P.S. - I have deferred sending off my letter of this morning until the return of the officer of the Glengarry Light Infantry, who had been detached towards Fort Erie in consequence of a suspicion that the enemy was evacuating that place. Captain FitzGibbon, the officer alluded to, has this moment arrived at my headquarters with the full confirmation of this rumor. The enemy evacuated Fort Erie early this forenoon, having first blown up the works and in every other respect completely destroyed and dismantled the place, an event on which I offer Your Excellency my sincere congratulations. Captain FitzGibbon rode through every part of the place, in which the enemy had left nothing except 10 or 12 kegs of damaged musket ball cartridges.

This expected event will make no change in my intentions of passing over to York to seek an interview with the commander of His Majesty's squadron. On the contrary, I feel if possible more anxious than before to induce him to consent heartily to co-operate with this division, in which case I think this Frontier may be effectually cleared of the enemy.

I cannot conclude this postscript without observing that the wanton outrage, robberies, and excesses lately committed by the enemy's army on this frontier demands a severe retaliation, and I would recommend Your Excellency to make the necessary communication to Sir Alexander Cochrane on the subject, unless you would prefer that it should be inflicted on the opposite frontier, a service which I consider this division is equal at any time effectually to perform."